UPDATE: The cause of Gregory Edward Jacobs‘ death has been revealed.
According to the Hillsborough County coroner in Florida, the Digital Underground rapper, otherwise known as Shock G, died from an accidental overdose of fentanyl, ethanol and methamphetamine. The news comes less than two months after Jacobs’ passing in April. He was 57 years old.
The music industry has lost a star.
According to The New York Times, Gregory Edward Jacobs, otherwise known as Shock G, was found dead at a hotel in Tampa, Fla. on April 22. He was 57 years old. The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office confirmed the rapper’s death to the newspaper but did not reveal a cause of death. Jacobs’ father Edward Racker told TMZ, which was first to report the news, that authorities will conduct an autopsy.
“Shock was a very kind person, and an inspiration to many,” a source close to Jacobs also told E! News, “and he will be sorely missed.”
Jacobs formed the hip-hop group Digital Underground with Chopmaster J and Kenny K in 1987. After dropping their single “Underwater Rimes,” the artists caught the attention of record label Tommy Boy.